Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Bike Gear Jewelry


This is a great way to use those old bike gears, but make sure you clean them good. ;)

Tools: Scissors, Craft wire or Jump rings.

Supplies: Old necklace or Jewelry Chain, Bike Gears, Embellishments ( I used candy dot jewels)
*note* if you don't have any bike gears around, go to your local bike store, in their maintenance area, they will usually give you some that they were just going to throw away.*
1. arrange your gears into a design you like. Attach them together using jump rings or craft wire. *I used craft wire for this part to add more texture and appeal. If you are using craft wire, wrap through each gear to bind, twist in the back and trim any extra wire. Seal the ends with glue so that they aren't sharp.

2. To add you bike gear pendant to your necklace/jewelry chain, you have 2 options:

A. attach with wire or jump rings so that it hangs down like a pendant from a chain.

or B. Split you chain/ necklace so that you have 2 ends and attach to each end with wire or jump rings, so that your gears are actually part of your necklace.
this is what I did, because I was recycling a broken necklace.


3. Embellish as desired. I used green candy dot gem stickers. buttons, charms, or beads would look FABULOUS!

I love how the gears give it somewhat of a steampunk look. don't forget to post your version in the flickr group!

No comments:

Post a Comment